Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cultural Informant- Sung




I interviewed my tutor, Cameron, about his Halloween experiences. I was especially interested in Halloween because we didn’t celebrate Halloween in Korea. One of the reasons was that Korean people believed that it was not a good idea to summon ghost or witch because they could harm people. We only called on our ancestor’s ghosts who couldn't harm their descendents on a specific memorial day. Cameron and I talked about origin of Halloween and his personal experiences. The interview was continued about 20 minutes, and it was good chance to understand Halloween culture in USA. I also asked about Halloween in California because Cameron came from California. He said his family sometimes visited San Francisco to celebrate Halloween.

He also told that Halloween experience could be different between small town and big city. In small town, all people can do was trick or treat, but in a big city, there were more various choice. I also thought that I wanted to make wonderful Halloween experiences during staying in USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment