Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Food Stamp field trip - by Candy Nguyen

             Many Southern American have experienced hurricane, but in my opinion the most famous place and most damage during hurricane season is Louisiana. As I am living in New Orleans, LA I have been through the taste of hurricane Isaac lately three weeks ago.
After classes resumed, I heard from my friend that the state government was giving out food stamp to anyone who currently live in Louisiana. I was surprised by the fact that the government does give food stamp to foreigners. I was half not believed and half hopefully is true. Then I tried to pre-apply on the government website. I tried to tell all of my friends about it, three of them agreed to go with me. Luckily, one guy had a car, so he kindly drove us there. Because the food stamp service for Orleans Perish was take place in Lakefront arena of University of New Orleans, which was very far away from Loyola.
On Friday, September 14th were only for people who have their last name beginning with A to M could get the food stamp. Guess what, my last name begin with N which means it was only apply on Saturday. However, my other three friends’ last name starts between A to M. It was risky and made me felt very worry if they would not give me the food stamp today, then I have to come on Saturday which was impossible for me. But I decided to go, if I did not try how miracle could happen.
We decided to leave at 8:30pm (the service start sometime in the morning until 10pm at night), so we would be good if we arrive there at 9pm. By the time we almost arrived, I saw a girl drove her car headed to the same direction as us. A guy seated next to her was reading his text book. Because they looked quite young, so I assumed that he was studying for a big test or must be something that very important to let him study on Friday night and on the car.
As soon as we got closer to the gym, I saw two police cars parked on the side way. I think they tried to protect people or directed the way to go. Since we drove into the parking lot, there were more police men and lots of US soldier on their uniform were siting on the side way. After my friend tried to park his car close to the arena; we all headed there as fast as possible. Right outside of the arena was dark. There was a big black electronic board said “A to M only”. It was quite scared me. There were also lots of chairs under a temporary house. It might be for people during the day seating outside and waiting for their turn. Beside the house, there were lots of mobile toilets and sinks. It was about forty toilets for four rows and eight sinks for each row. It was very nice of them since they provided for people convenient.
When we followed the direction to the service, I was surprised that they used the whole arena only for the service. The parking driveway was used instead of using stairs. I think it was a great idea. It was very easy for elders and handicap people who have trouble with stairs. While we walk, I saw many soldiers and some was holding gun. It was getting more serious and it well protected. Even though, it was kind of late at night, there were still lots of people. Then I conclude that the reason for them still working at this time was for people who busy during the day, have kids to take care of or busy with school works such as students like us.
            Finally we have arrived there. At the main door, a soldier handed out snacks and candy bars for everybody. They guided us where to go. They were all very nice and friendly afterward. It was not like the first scene I saw them with guns. It was part of my personal experience in my country that we tend to think something bad might happen if soldiers or police men were holding guns. In contrast, in the US might have differences meaning, it means protection and secure.
It was a huge basketball arena. Over 200 social workers had their laptops with them. It looked very hi-tech and professional. A black woman guided us to specific clerk. She was a very nice and helpful. She saw me as an Asian, she was friendly preferred a Vietnamese interpreter, but I said thank you and told her I could speak English. It was about fifty people who same as me. They were distributed in different places around the arena.
            Took my chance, I asked one of the clerk that is it possible if I can apply today instead of tomorrow, because I do not own a car and it is very difficult for me to get around. After asked what letter my last name started with, the clerk said ok and let me apply for the food stamp. It was very lucky me.
            There were a couple back side of me. The women was sitting on the chair and talking with the clerk while the man was standing behind her. They looked like a family. It kind of interesting to me that head of the house (usually men) chose to talk with the clerk. But in this situation, the head of the house was a woman. It inferred that she was taking control over her husband or she knew much more about the family information than her husband.
            The most interesting was a guy who sat next to me; he tried to tell the clerk about his situation during the hurricane. He said his garage was broken, the tree fell on it and he could not park his car during the hurricane. It made a big damage to his car. All of his food was broken; he lost almost 800 dollars of groceries. His windows and some parts of the house were torn down by the wind. He had two kids to take care of and many more stuff. It was funny in the way he tried to convince the clerk. The clerks seemed understand the situation and finally approved him and he replied “Don’t worry, I have never refused anyone”. I was giggle in my head from what both of them said. In my opinion and not offensive, the guy was too over the situation. It might be true about his story but he do not have to say it in a very dramatic way.
            After got all satisfied answers and checked all my documents, the clerk also approved me. I took me about 40 minutes. I was a very long time. It was difference for foreigners because they have to check more paper works and much more complicated than US citizens. My friend, he is a US citizen, it only took him 15 minutes. I headed to the food stamp card station. I filled my name and signed it only took 5 minute. I got it! 200 dollars.
            I was very exciting and a great experience after this trip. It helped me to understand more about Louisiana State as general and people in New Orleans as individual. Social workers, soldiers and police men were both did a good job. They represented peace, justice and democracy of the US society and culture. I understood that the government responsibilities for family who lose their property and supported them money after the disaster. It seemed everyone were every happy and satisfied from what they received.

No comments:

Post a Comment