Monday, December 3, 2012

Cathedral Square


 Sr. Kim Dung

It was my first time at Cathedral Square since I have studied in the LIEP program. That day was my field trip day to the New Orleans Exhibit which is close to the Cathedral; it was my unforgettable memory in front of Cathedral.

It was around early evening. After we had more than an hour visiting exhibit and getting out there, my professor gathered us in front of the Cathedral to experience French Quarter environment. Standing in the square, I saw some people were there who were playing music, walking dog, waiting for fortune telling and someone was setting another table for fortune telling. The area was an active place with many activities would play around.

I sat on a chair which was near to a torture telling table waiting for some people who were getting out of the exhibit, and gathered with my classmates to talking. While I enjoyably was observing people around and looking people, there was a middle man aged quickly approached to me and kneeled down in front of me asking me whether I was a real sister. I was completely surprised with his gesture. I could not say anything except nod my head to indicate "yes". Immediately, the man asked me to bless him. I was driven completely in sane of his thinking; i looked at my professor preferring for a question what I should do. I saw she nodded her head, and I blessed him by putting my hand on his head and gave a silent prayer for him.

I did what he asked; he thanked me and left.

I was unspoken after that because I had never sunk in that familiar situation before, so I perplexedly found myself at that moment. Besides, my classmates laughed at me because they had though that I would stand up and make a power prayer by raising my hand up, sound a loud voice and put my hands on the man's head.

I could not believe that an American could approach to me and asked for blessing.

After all, my professor indicated to me that New Orleans is a religion region where people kind of respecting religious people by asking for blessing or prayer; beside that, in Halloween day people might dress up as a religious people. Therefore, the man had asked me to confirm that if I was a real sister or just for dress up as a religious person before he asked for a blessing.

Through that man, I understand that New Orleans has been a traditional city of religion and I need to be awake of asking blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment